Monday, August 31, 2009

A New Beginning....Sort of

Welcome to my new blog where I'll share with you the ins and outs of this Jersey boy's new life in Oz. As I approach my 1 year anniversary of my relocation to my wife's homeland, I'm ready to share with you my observations and thoughts from the perspective a African American trying to find his path in this far away land called Oz.


So let's start at the beginning with some lessons learned as we prepared to move across the pond.


(1) Awaking the day of your departure to find that your passport has expired 2 weeks earlier will probably not be considered "funny" by anyone but you.


(2) Do not believe anything that the international movers tell you in regard to when your stuff will clear customs. Just add 4 weeks and hope.


(3) There is no turkey bacon in Australia - I'll pay you to sneak some in for me...anyone? anyone??


(4) Only 1 out of every 5 close friends will actually proactively keep in touch when you move. Ask every friend if they're going to be the 1 or the 4.


(5) Don't waste all your time trying to sell everything off before coming. Instead spend your time overloading on the things you can't get here - good Mexican food, Ahi sashimi, Grits, your favorite deodorant/skincare/personal items (it's probably not here!), and did I mention turkey bacon?


There's so much more to share but they refuse to pay me for doing this at work (shhhh - don't tell anyone) so I'd best be signing off. Hit me up with any questions or comments and I'll try to address them in my next post. I'm out!


11 comments:

  1. Jonesy - guilty as the 1-4 friends....but you know me! About the stuff you can't get in OZ - I would find it hard to NOT find good Ahi in an island continent! Skin care? Who cares - your married, you don't have to impress the ladies anymore! Mexican food? That stuff is here for you to take advantage of when you visit So Cal. Grits - back in Atlanta I would think. All of these things "you need in Oz" should give youmore motivation to come back to the states!
    Disco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Chris,
    Sorry to hear about the lack of grits and turkey bacon. But, Disco above is right about the skin care products, you can let yourself go. Ha! You're already taken : ) I cannot believe you have been out there a year already. Give my love to anyone! And as for questions, I do have one: kangaroos. Do you see lots of kangaroos? Adorable creatures are they?
    Love,
    Vel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vel - yes, there are kangaroos. They're not walking around the city or anything but the kids have actually been in a park with wild kangaroos feeding them. I've got pics up on my fb page. Pretty cool but also dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonesy, why in the world would you choose turkey bacon over the real deal? Are you telling me you don't eat swine?

    Trent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the swine but my naturopathic wife is trying to take me out of the fast lane to a triple bypass!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm the 1...the excessive bugging 1...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris,
    Great blog! Hoping it will help me understand the cultural influences of Boost Mobile founders Lanzon and Fewell. Also, wondering if you miss a late night Fat Burger or El Pollo Loco? JW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff - I'd kill for some good Mexican food, a kick ass margarita and some In & Out burger on occasion. As far as understanding Lanzon and Fewelly...that's anyone's guess! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, no turkey bacon. Hmmm. That may be a deal breaker for me. Or, better yet, maybe that is an opportunity???
    Still, it is amazing there is no turkey bacon. How about turkey sausage???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Number 4 is too true, but you can get grits via usafoods.com.au if you haven't sussed that out yet. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Suzer...much appreciated. I have found usafoods and definitely use them for my grits! I like Chef David's idea about bringing some turkey bacon to Oz too.

    ReplyDelete